Why is Medical Professional Liability Coverage important?
- US medical liability insurance usually does not cover the medical professional once he/she leaves US soil.
- Medical professionals are often called upon to administer medical care to fellow travelers or team members on airplanes and in international airports.
- Media access in even the remotest locations has increased knowledge of medical malpractice litigation as a lucrative endeavor.
- Churches and others can be included in malpractice litigation brought against an individual medical professional.
- In many countries medical professionals may be imprisoned if unable to pay retribution to the patient’s family in the event of death or severe injury.
What is available?
- Medical Professional Liability coverage is available by participation in the International Helpers (Guernsey) Trust that is facilitated by Gallagher Charitable International Insurance Services (formerly Adams & Adams International).
- Coverage is available for physicians, dentists, chiropractors, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, pharmacists, physical therapists, occupational therapists and various medical technicians.
- All medical care that is given outside of the US and Canada, and is within the practitioner's level of certification, is covered.
- Individual physicians, surgeons, nurses and various medical technicians or groups of these people stationed abroad for long periods may participate in an annual arrangement.
- Legal suits can be filed anywhere in the world including the US.
How to obtain coverage?
- Contact Gallagher Charitable International Insurance Services – https://www.travelwithgallagher.com/
- The International Helpers (Guernsey) Trust website www.internationalhelpers.co.gg requires a User Name and Password to participate in the Trust. This will be assigned by Gallagher Charitable International Insurance Services.
- A short Group Short-term Medical Professional Volunteer Enrollment and Participation Agreement must be completed.
- For medical teams the medical professionals names must be submitted prior to the trip with the following information:
- Date of birth
- Contact information
- Dates of the trip – number of days
- Medical license number
- State of licensure
- DEA number (requested on the International Helpers website but is not required) HealthCare Ministries does not supply this information.
- Nature of practice
- License in good standing?
- A check for the total team expense must be made out to “RIL Administrators” and mailed to Gallagher Charitable International Insurance Services
- The registration information and Trust payment will be sent on to International Helpers by Gallagher Charitable International Insurance Services
- A confirmation form the Trust including all the names and medical professionals’ information will be sent
(Field Ministries/Insurance/Medical Liability 05'10)