Wide Open Missions

Find Out Where You Can Experience the Call


Discover and participate in what God is doing around the world as a MAPS volunteer for 1 to 11 months. MAPS volunteers connect their areas of ministry interest with needs on the field.

University students can fulfill practicum and internship requirements for cross-cultural courses with an overseas assignment—generally 1 to 3 months in length.


  • At least 18 years old
  • U.S. citizen or able to work in the U.S.
  • Valid social security card
  • Valid passport
  • Born-again Christian and growing believer
  • Consistent in your personal devotional life
  • Faithful to your local church

*Please plan accordingly and allow for at least 3 months for your application to be processed*

Search MAPS Opportunities    Check Application Status

Note: If you are using a Mac, Safari is not compatible with the application site. You can download and use Chrome.

Getting Started

Step 1: Application

Fill out an application online at least three months prior to planned departure date. Application processing for MAPS volunteers can take up to three months. Do not purchase airline tickets until FINAL APPROVAL has been secured. If you have served as a MAPS volunteer for greater than 1 month within the last 5 years, please choose reapply.

New Applicant      Reapply

*All applicants must be 18 years of age. If you are under 18, please contact agwmmaps@ag.org.

Step 2: Initial Process

After initial review, your application specialist will contact you with updates and be available to answer questions. References will be compiled and a background check completed.

Step 3: Screening Process

When references and information have been recieved, your file will be reviewed. 

Step 4: Placement Process

Assignment details are discussed and finalized with the mentor missionary and area director.

Step 5: Approval Process

When your assignment details have been received, final approval is secured. You will be notified of your approval and an email will be sent to you with steps to follow before your departure.

Step 6: Pre-Field Orientation

MAPS volunteers going for 4-11 months are not required to attend, but it is available at the request of the area director or regional director. PFO is held three times a year in March, June, and October.

Once Approved

Before leaving on your MAPS trip

  1. Receive final approval from your AGWM Application Specialist.
  2. Read MAPS Orientation Manual
  3. Complete the Direct Deposit Authorization Form
  4. Complete the MAPS Self Employment/Income Tax Election Form found in your approval email.
  5. Raise funds. You must raise 75% of your total budget before travel clearance will be granted. 
  6. Send copy of flight itinerary to your AGWM MAPS Support Specialist at least 1 month prior to departure.
  7. Ensure AGWM travel insurance has been charged to your AGWM account. 
  8. Pack! To avoid COSTLY FINES and POSSIBLE IMPRISONMENT, please read the U.S. Department of Homeland Security/Transportation Security Administration list of PROHIBITED ITEMS for airline travel.  Also, check with your airline for any restrictions they may have. 
  9. For safety information for your specific country, please visit the U.S. State Department Bureau of Consular Affairs website. This website will give you information on entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, and embassy locations. This information is very important to know when you are traveling internationally.

Click here for IMPORTANT AGWM TRAVEL STATEMENT regarding Personnel and Partner Travel

Upon completion of your MAPS trip:

  1. Notify your AGWM MAPS Support Specialist of your return date.​
  2. Report necessay expense items by going to financialreporting.agwm.com. For further information see AGWM Financial Reporting Website Instructions or contact the MAPS office. 


Download MAPS Orientation Manual



Visit our Insurance section for more information.

Visit our Emergency Information section for more information.


What does MAPS mean?

Missions Abroad Placement Service (MAPS) volunteers may assist a missionary in evangelism outreaches, literature distribution, youth and children’s ministries or special projects.

How do I go about starting the process for a MAPS trip?

You may apply online. Please search for a possible ministry opportunity that fits your skills and abilities. If you find something that you feel is a match, you should indicate that on the application.

Is there an age limit?

Must be 18 years or older at the time of application. If you are over 65, you must be enrolled in Medicare.

How long does the application process take?

Approximately 6 weeks after all necessary documentation is received.

How long can I be a MAPS volunteer?

MAPS assignments range in length from 1 month to 11 months.

Do I have to go with a group?

No, the MAPS program is designed to give individuals a chance to experience missions. If you are interested in being involved in a group mission’s trip, click here.

Why are married couples with children not approved by AGWM for MAPS assignments?

Married couples may be approved as MAPS volunteers if both the head of house and spouse qualify as full-time ministry volunteers. Couples with children do not qualify because the parent caring for the child or children cannot be considered a full-time volunteer on a ministry assignment. Children cannot be considered “volunteers.” This policy has been adopted by AGWM due to requirements of the IRS and child labor laws.

If I go alone will someone help me?

MAPS volunteers are partnered with AG missionaries on the mission field. The missionary is responsible for organizing housing and daily activities for the MAPS volunteer.

Does AGWM offer insurance for MAPS volunteers?


When does insurance coverage begin and end?

Insurance coverage runs from midnight to midnight starting the day you leave the US and ending the day you return, at the completion of your assignment.

How much is insurance?

The insurance premium is $4.50 per day per person.

Is there an application fee?

Yes, there is a $25 fee. When you apply online, you will be asked for a credit card.

How much money should be raised?

The budget is different for each country and is set by the mentoring missionary with input from AGWM. It can range anywhere from $300/month to $1200/month.

How do donors get credit for their donations?

The General Council of the Assemblies of God will issue tax deductible receipts.

If I like my MAPS trip, is there another level of service that I can move into?

Yes, you can apply to serve as a Missionary Associate for a one or two year assignment.